Check out these Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies. They are soft, creamy and loaded with lemon! There’s no chilling or rolling — just stir, drop, bake and frost (if you want to!). Perfect for holiday baking or just because.
Frosted Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar (approx. 400g)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream (I use 5%)
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4½ cups all purpose flour (about 575g)
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups powdered icing sugar
- juice of 2 lemons*
- yellow food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until combined.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder and flour and beat just until combined. Dough will be the consistency of thick cake batter — it is quite sticky and soft.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, trying to make drops as round as possible. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until no longer glistening in the center. Cool completely.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and just enough lemon juice to make a smooth, thick frosting (you can add a teaspoon of milk if it is too thick). Color with yellow food coloring if desired.
- When cookies are completely cool, spread with an even layer of frosting and serve.